Spring Light and Ancient Shadows, Canon del Muerto. 72 x 72.
This elegant palace of the Anasazi goes under the unprepossessing name
of "Mummy Cave." The name of the canyon is even more depressing; it
is called "Canon del Muerto," because Kit Carson killed many Navajos
in it over a century ago. Yet this building and the remains of a city
behind it were made of dressed stone by a culture that has perished.
The rafters and beams tell us it was inhabited from about 700 to 1200
A.D. The Navajos came around 1300 A.D., and it is not clear if these
people were dwelling there when the Navajos came in. All we know is
that some time in the thirteenth century the people here, at Mesa
Verde, at Aztec, and those of the towns in Chaco Canyon all
disappeared leaving their cities as an eloquent exhibit of their
culture. When the Eiteljorg Museum was designed, its architects used
these remnants of the Anasazi to guide them.
Have Questions or Comments ? Contact Us.